We lived in an era where the concept of relational databases were widely in practice and adopted for various fields and tasks. But as time is progressing we are encountering various scenarios where the traditional tables and row concept are not able to give us the best solutions. This is where MongoDb came as a game changer and replaced the traditional table row concept with collections of JSON documents. The fundamental area of difference between MongoDB and an RDBMS is the underlying data model.
JSON is a self-describing and easily human readable data format. A JSON document has a set of fields already arranged in a key-value format. Json document can even be arrays or nested sub-objects.
Considering the fact that MongoDb is a document based database, it is widely scalable and much faster compared to traditional RDMS. In RDBMS there is a typical schema design that tells us about the number of tables and the relationship between those tables, whereas in MongoDB the concept of relationship does not exist.Thus, the primary and distinctive features of MongoDb can be summarized as:
- Easy to use
- Light weight
- Extremely faster compared to RDBMS
- Replication and high availability
When we say MongoDb is becoming a better alternative for RDBMS, we consider many advantages that it offers which is more scalable and productive as:
- MongoDB is schema less
- In MongoDB there can be differences between the number of fields, content and the size of the documents.
- The structure of an unit object is clear
- There are no complex joins.
- As it supports a very powerful dynamic query on documents, it provides the Facility of Deep Query.
- MongoDb is highly Scalable.
- As MongoDb stores working sets internally, access if much faster compared to RDBMS
- As we speak about the features and advantages of MongoDb in various fields, let us look at the performance analysis between the two:
- In RDBMS tables are used as storing elements, while in MongoDB collection is used.
- RDBMS has multiple schemas and tables are created to store the data in each of the schemas, whereas, MongoDB is a document oriented database where data is written in BSON format, which is like JSON format.
- MongoDB is found to be almost 100 times faster than traditional RDBMS.
Thus, as MongoDb offers huge advantages over traditional RDBMS, it is being widely used across every sector. Though its advantages overpower RDBMS to a great extent, yet the fact that it will completely replace RDBMS is still a matter of time and cannot be told decisively at this point.